San Salvador Skyline

San Salvador Skyline

Monday, June 22, 2015

La Buena Vida‏

This week was pretty good. The work went well (we achieved the Standards of Excellence in the mission), and we had some great exchanges with Apopa 2. It was the second time I've worked with Elder Schmidt.

I'm trying to depend on the Spirit a lot, a lot, a lot more. He makes everything good!
I thought  a lot about doctrine and a few things I learned were that depression is essentially an addiction to negative thinking (incredulity would be the same to doubt). Therefore, like an addiction, it is superable, but very difficult to do so, requiring much prayer and fasting. I was also somewhat more converted to the common missionary ideal of getting sealed soon after the mission. More than anything, those blessings are just super super important.

Last PDay, we went to some waterfalls in Quezaltepeque. It was the first time I've done a nature hike since forever. The country is super beautiful. Just that the gangs hang out in most of the coolest places (rude).

Jeremiah 7:7-10 (I think those are the verses) is a really clear exposition on why you have to do more than superficially accept the Savior, and D&C 82:8-9 define what a commandment is super bonita. (I also like how in another section, it describes one of the blessings of the just as that they will receive "commandments, not a few." Commandments are fantastic. Like, if you want to live life well, God has told us how to do it. When we have a job, we want more instructions so as to be able to do it better and know what we're doing. Life is infinitely more complicated and we need wisdom divine that much more).

Also estoy bien feliz (I am very happy) because I remembered the first time I read the Book of Mormon. When Pres. Hinckley issued the Book of Mormon challenge, I was 9, and it was the first time I read it on my own. I'll admit I cheated a little, since I started from Jacob (since we were at Jacob in our family reading), but I think that was when I started my habit of bringing the Book of Mormon to school to read after finishing my work. I had been praying to remember it, so that I could testify to the people about my experience, so I'm really happy to have remembered. :> (plus, it doesn't only teach the importance of reading the Book of Mormon, but I can teach Seguir al Profeta a la vez. [Follow the Prophet all the time.] Poderoso! [Powerful!])

Have the best week! You people are importantísimos! Make sure the Spirit is with you! He'll make you happy! Keep your covenants, and make more with God. (and pray to ask that He helps you do it!!!!)

Elder Newman

PS, for those who speak Spanish: ¿Por qué fue José Smith a la Iglesia con su camisa no planchada?

Porque Moroni se le llevó las planchas.
 
(Why did Joseph Smith go to church without ironing his shirt? Because Moroni took the plates. Only makes sense in Spanish!)
:y

I don't use machetes that much. But if it's a touristy machete, with a leather sheath that says El Salvador or something they let you bring it but I'm not that interested. Also guns are way too common here. Don't want to bring one home.

No comments:

Post a Comment